- Orchestra: Melbourne Symphony (2016), Sydney Symphony, Australian Chamber Orchestra’s Emerging Artists, & ACO2
- Studied: Bachelor of Music majoring in violin performance with 1st Class Honours, Sydney Conservatorium. Most recently Freya has also studied at The Guild Hall, London.
- Awards: Sydney Symphony Fellowship and many scholarships for excellence in violin playing.
- Festivals: Euro Arts Music Festival
- A feature violinist on our StringspaceLive YouTube channel
- Freya Franzen has been performing with Stringspace since 2006.
- Orchestra: Australian Chamber Orchestra, Tasmania Symphony Orchestra, Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, Banff Festival Orchestra, Ludovico’s Band & ACO2.
- Studied: First Class Honours at Melbourne University; Full Scholarship holder at the Australian National Academy of Music.
- Awards: Tasmanian Young Achiever of the Year Finalist 2010, Rotary Club of Melbourne Young Achiever of the Year, Winner – Melbourne University Concerto Competition.
Performed in Carnegie Hall, New York, and Walt Disney Hall, Los Angeles and in every capital city of Australia with the Australian Chamber Orchestra.
- Other projects: Chamber music performances throughout Denmark with Principal Violist of the Berlin Philharmonic.
- Festivals: The International Chamber Music Festival
“Australia’s wunderkind of the violin, Kristian Winther, returns to both direct and perform the solo part in this much-anticipated premiere of Beethoven’s violin concerto in Elisabeth Murdoch Hall.”
Background: Born in Canberra in 1984 to pianist parents, Kristian Winther studied both violin and conducting
Concerto debut: Sibelius Violin Concerto in 2000
Soloist: Melbourne Symphony, Sydney Symphony, Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra, Auckland Philharmonic, and the Melbourne Chamber Orchestra.
Kristian performed the Australian premieres of Brett Dean’s Violin Concerto “The Lost Art of Letter Writing”
Guest Assistant Concertmaster: Adelaide Symphony, WA Symphony, & the Hong Kong Philharmonic
Concertmaster: Mahler Chamber Orchestra, Melbourne Symphony, Guest Director and Leader of ACO2
Competition Winner: Banff International String Quartet Competition. This was followed by critically acclaimed tours of the USA and Europe
Other projects: Kristian is also a composer. He premiered his work for string quartet “…etude” at the Sydney Opera House.
Kristian has performed chamber music with many celebrated musicians including Anne-Sophie Van Otter, Richard Tognetti, Brett Dean and Piers Lane, and has conducted at the Canberra International Music Festival & the Melbourne International Arts Festival.
- Orchestra: Australian Chamber Orchestra: #2 Violinist (Assistant Leader to Richard Tognetti), Wiener Kammerorchester, Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, London Symphony Orchestra & Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra (Assistant Concertmaster)
- Violin Soloist: Melbourne Symphony Orchestra & Tasmanian Symphony
- Awards: National Youth Concerto Competition Winner, Queen Elizabeth Jubilee Trust winner, Major performance award of the Australian Musical Foundation in London, ABC Young Performers Prize Winner
- Studied: Vienna Hochscule & The London Guildhall of Music with David Takeno. Chamber music with the Takacs Quartet
- TV: Performs regularly on ABC Sunday Live
- Film: Violin Instructor to Russell Crowe on the film Master and Commander
“The outshining violinist Zoë Black is an alluring and sensual musician with an appealing charisma” The Age.
- Ioana began learning the violin at age five, in New Zealand, after her family emigrated from Serbia. She has performed as a core member of the Australian String Quartet.
- Her musical background is very much grounded in Romanian and Serbian folk music.
- “I have always listened to folk, jazz and good popular music as well as classical music.”
- Studied: Australian National Academy of Music (scholarship)
- Orchestra: Australian Chamber Orchestra, Melbourne Symphony, Sydney Symphony, Orchestra Victoria, Adelaide Symphony, Tasmanian Symphony, Australian Chamber Soloists, Melbourne Symphony Chamber Players
- Festivals: Queenscliff Music Festival
- Other Projects: Silo String Quartet (including a string quartet performance at Carnegie Hall, New York City), Orchestra Ensemble Kanazawa (Japan) & The Black Arm Band (music of the Australian Indigenous Experience).
- Musicals: Les Miserables, Miss Saigon, Love Never Dies & Phantom of the Opera
- Pop: Ben Folds, Harry Connick Jr & Paul Kelly, John Butler Album – “Sunrise Over The Sea” & Clare Bowditch “The Moon Looked On”
- Stringspace Events: Alannah Hill private VIP event at the Alannah Hill Chapel Street Store. Myer VIP night.
- Studied: Bachelor of Music from Melbourne University.
- Festivals: 2010 Perth International Festival, the 2011 Musica Viva Festival, the 2012 Four Winds Festival, the 2013 Perth International Festival, the 2014 Canberra International Music Festival, and in 2015 & 2016 he will tour Australia as founding violist of the Australian Chamber Orchestra’s Inspire Quartet.
- Other projects: An enthusiastic performer of new music, William has premiered numerous Australian works as soloist and chamber musician.
- Orchestra: William performs regularly with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, the Australian Chamber Orchestra and the Australian Chamber Orchestra’s ACO2.
- Orchestra: Orchestra Victoria (Guest lead cellist), Sydney Symphony, Cologne Chamber Orchestra & Cologne Sextet, North German Radio Orchestra, Musik Triennale Koln & Singapore Symphony
- Studied: Tchaikovsky Conservatorium of Music (High School for Gifted Students), The Peabody Conservatorium & Cologne Hochschule of Music
- TV: Soloist on the ABC Arts Show
- Festivals: Melbourne International Chamber Music Festival
- Stringspace Events: Alannah Hill private VIP event at the Alannah Hill Chapel Street store.
”Bogosavljevic’s fine bow control and use of vibrato made for a moving performance.” Herald Sun
- Orchestra: Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, Orchestra Victoria & the Melbourne Chamber Orchestra
- Studied: The Elder Conservatorium – 1st Class Honours, baroque cello in Edinburgh, National Academy of Music, & the Young Australian Concert Artists String Quartet program
- International Orchestral Experience: The English Baroque Soloists and the Orchestra Revolutionnaire et Romantique
- Other Projects: Sydney Theatre Company (show starring Hugh Jackman)
- Orchestra: Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra, OzOpera Australian Tour, Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra, North Netherlands Orchestra
- Studied: Tasmanian Conservatorium – 1st Class Honours & National Academy of Music – Advanced Performance Program on full scholarship
- Awards: Jan Sedivka Music Scholarship
- Studied: Bachelor of Music (Honours) – University of Melbourne, National Academy of Music (Advanced performance program), & the Koln Hochschule
- Orchestra: Australian Chamber Orchestra, Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra, Mahler Chamber Orchestra, Orchestra Victoria, Sydney Symphony, & Adelaide Symphony.
- Festivals: Melbourne International Arts Festival, Adelaide Cello Festival, & the Port Fairy Music Festival
- Solo: Australian Chamber Orchestra, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra, Orchestra Victoria, Monash Academy Orchestra, the ANAM Orchestra, & the Adelaide Chamber Orchestra.
- Other Projects: Melbourne Symphony Orchestra Chamber Players & guest cellist with the Australian String Quartet.
- Pop: KISS, Olivia Newton-John, The Beach Boys, James Morrison, & extensive touring with Lior
- TV: Neighbours & X Factor
- Stringspace Projects: MYER Spring launch
- Studied: Masters Degree at Manhattan School of Music on full Scholarship, Sydney Conservatorium of Music – BMUS
- “Matthew Hoy accompanies the three acts with well-judged and subtle incidental music on both cello and piano” – Curtainup.com.
- ”Cloudstreet is gorgeous… and along with the illustrative music, performed on piano and cello by Matthew Hoy, shows off the artful ingenuity of Mr. Armfield and his team of designers.” The New York Times
- Orchestra: WA Symphony, Australian Opera & Ballet Orchestra, Australian World Orchestra
- Awards: Big Brother Scholarship for studies in the UK
- Pop: Birds of Tokyo CD
- Stringspace Events: Olivia Newton-John Wellness Centre launch, Global Television Stringspace showcase performance at Media City Studios, Southbank (for the heads of all the major networks and production companies).
- Other: Performance with string principals of the New York Philharmonic in New York City
Jade Macrae – jazz/soul/pop singer:
Australian R&B/soul singer Jade is also a beautiful, stylish jazz singer. Her self-titled album was nominated for an ARIA Award and a number of her songs have had chart topping success.
Stringspace Projects: Jade has recently appeared with the Stringspace Orchestra singing the Etta James song “At Last.” She also appears on our YouTube Channel StringspaceLive singing: Honeysuckle Rose, My Baby Just Cares For Me, It Had To Be You and Even When I’m Sleeping.
Jade performed for Stringspace at the launch of the Olivia Newton-John Wellness Centre. She also gave a feature performance at the Friends Gather Round “Supercharge Your Life” event with Stringspace guitarist Hugh.
Cat – pop singer:
- Caterina has been called an Aussie ‘It’ girl and a role model, a star-in-the-making and a girl-next-door. Invited to work with producers and beat-makers from London to Los Angeles. Her soulful voice and natural style have seen her take the stage on network television phenomenon The Voice and tour Australia and South America with one of her most ardent champions, Ricky Martin.
- Caterina has been fortunate enough to travel the world to hone her songwriting. For a year and a half after graduation, hopping between the USA and the UK, working with Toby Gad (Beyoncé, Alicia Keys), Cathy Dennis (Katy Perry), Lester Mendez (Nelly Furtado) and The Presets’ frontman Julian Hamilton, to name a few. The songs that Caterina wrote at that time were recorded by Puerto Rican singer Ednita Nazario (the album featuring the song reached number one on the Billboard Top Latin Albums Chart) and J-pop artist Kumi Koda. With some incredible co-writes and cuts underneath her belt Caterina returned to Australia with a first-class musical education and a new determination.
- The Voice Australia provided a platform on which to show the public what she could do. Ricky Martin became a fierce supporter of Caterina even after the cycle’s finale. Following a national tour with Martin, Caterina joined the international icon on a tour of Chile and Uruguay.
Hannah – jazz/pop/country singer:
- Hannah is a highly accomplished and sought-after vocalist based in Melbourne. She is equally comfortable in settings as diverse as folk, pop, jazz, and avant-garde improvisation. Recently completing her Bachelor of Music Performance Degree at the Victorian College of Arts, Hannah has received recognition as both a vocalist and composer. She was the 2013 recipient of the prestigious James Morrison Generations in Jazz Vocal Scholarship, and the recipient of the Riverside Live Talking Music Prize. She has since performed alongside some of Australia’s leading musicians at events such as the Melbourne International Jazz Festival, The Adelaide International Guitar Festival, and the APRA Art Music Awards.
Olivia – jazz singer:
- Olivia’s win of the Generations In Jazz Vocal Scholarship at James Morrison’s GIJ Festival ‘14 brought her voice into the spotlight, making her one of Melbourne’s most sought after jazz vocalists. She has since released her debut album “Keep an Eye on Spring” and has performed numerous sold out shows around Australia, including her Sydney, Darwin, Brisbane and Perth debuts with none other than James Morrison himself.
Hetty – jazz singer:
- Hetty regularly tours with Australian jazz royalty James Morrison, having sung alongside him and the Melbourne, Tasmanian, Sydney, Hong Kong, Auckland and Christchurch Symphony Orchestras in sold-out venues including the Sydney Opera House. A natural-born all-around entertainer with an infectious sense of fun, Hetty is one of the most in-demand professional jazz singers working today. She has also performed on the TV show Spicks and Specks!
Andrea Keller – jazz piano:
- Australian pianist and composer Andrea Keller is a leading figure on the Australian jazz scene. Andrea Keller has “one of Australia’s most consistently interesting musical minds.”Awards: Three ARIA Awards, two Bell Awards, and two major fellowships, including the MCA/Freedman Foundation Jazz Fellowship.She has toured extensively nationally and internationally, and her discography includes seven albums under her name and her compositions and performances heard on countless others.Studied: Andrea Keller holds a Bachelor of Music in Improvisation (Hons) from the Victorian College of the Arts and a Master of Arts from the Queensland University of TechnologyKeller and her players are consistently outstanding.” Michael Webb“Apart from being an outstanding piano player, Keller has the gift for writing totally distinctive and engaging compositions. This recording stands as a marker of just how good Australian jazz is.” B. Stapleton (allaboutjazz.com)” One of this country’s most daring and fascinating composers, she produces work that bristles with surprises, a powerful blend of European lyricism with space and improvisation.” Leon Gettler. The Age Stringspace events: Andre Rieu VIP event (jazz trio); solo jazz piano for ANZ
James – saxophone:
- Studied: Bachelor of Music with Honours at the Conservatorium at Monash University (High Distinction).
- Awards: Dean’s Award for Outstanding Academic success (Arts Faculty, Monash University), granted entry into the Monash Golden Key Society.
- Other projects: performances with esteemed Australian musicians such as James Morrison, Tony Gould, Tony Floyd, Doug de Vries, Sam Keevers, Paul Williamson and Simon Starr.
- In 2010, James travelled to New York City to attend the Summer Jazz Workshop at New York University. In 2011, James received a position in the Master of Music degree at New York University. In 2012, James released his debut album, After All, launched at Bennetts Lane Jazz Club to critical acclaim and in 2013, James travelled to Europe and New York City for additional studies.
- Festivals: James has performed at major festivals in Australia including the Wangaratta Jazz Festival and the Melbourne International Jazz Festival, as well as on several live recordings for radio stations 3MBS and PBS.James maintains an active performing schedule at leading Melbourne Jazz venues such as Bennetts Lane, Uptown Jazz Café, Paris Cat, Café 303 and Dizzy’s.
Hugh – guitar:
- Hugh began playing guitar at age 5, and by age 11 he had shared a stage with Tommy Emmanuel.
- Studied: The Elder Conservatorium; Bachelor of Music (Honours) at the Victorian College of the Arts;
- Awards: James Morrison Scholarship; The Elder Conservatorium’s award for most outstanding undergraduate.
- The James Morrison Scholarship allowed Hugh to study in New York
- In 2007 Hugh was a prize winner at the National Jazz Awards, possibly Australia’s most prestigious competition for jazz instrumentalists.
- Stringspace Projects: Youtube Channel – StringspaceLive, Gourmet Traveller Awards Night @ Vue De Monde, Garvan Institute of Medical Research Fundraising Gala, Porsche Christmas Party, duo film clips with Jade Macrae and Briana Cowlishaw, duo performance with Jade MacRae at Abbotsford Convent for “Friends Gather Round”, & VIP client events for Tiffany & Co. at their Melbourne Collins Street store.
- Hugh features on our YouTube channel StringspaceLive.
Cristina – soprano:
Studied: Bachelor of Music with Honours at the University of Melbourne; Bachelor of Arts majoring in Italian and English Literature.
Cristina is currently a full-time developing artist with the Victorian Opera and is completing a Master of Music (Opera Performance) under full scholarship. As part of her professional development, Cristina has also received coaching from opera icons including Dame Kiri Te Kanawa, Mirella Freni and Luciana Serra.
Victorian Opera: The Magic Flute, The Summer of the Seventeenth Doll, Hansel and Gretel, La Traviata & The Riders – a new Australian Opera based on the Tim Winton novel of the same name.
Cristina has performed with Opera Australia, Victorian Opera, Consort of Melbourne, Melbourne Symphony Orchestra & the Heidelberg Choral Society.
Other projects: Cristina’s solo concert and oratorio appearances include Bach St Matthew Passion, Handel’s Messiah, Mendelssohn St Paul, Vivaldi Mass RV 588, Mozart’s Requiem & Fauré’s Requiem. Awards: As a recipient of the Acclaim Italian Opera Fellowship Study Award, Cristina studied in Italy at the Pergolesi Theatre. Cristina was also the recipient of a scholarship to study at the Lisa Gasteen National Opera School (2013), winner of the Armstead Singing Award (Musical Society of Victoria) (2011), a grant recipient of Opus 50 Trust (2013), finalist in the Royal Melbourne Philharmonic Aria Competition (2013), semi-finalist in the Australian Singing Competition (2014), the Herald Sun Aria (2012) and finalist in the 3MBS Performer of the Year (2011).
Lucie Miller | Stringspace Founder & Director:
Stringspace Director: Establishing Stringspace in 2003, Lucie has organised music for events hosted by U2 (at the Sydney Opera House), Tiffany & Co., Alannah Hill, the Sydney Opera House, The Department of Prime Minister & Cabinet, Australian Film Director Peter Weir, Hopscotch Films, Bell Shakespeare, Sydney Theatre Company, Melbourne Fashion Week, Sir Richard Branson, Ferrari Maserati, Sydney Writers’ Festival, Sydney Fashion Week & Global TV. She has collaborated with Melbourne band “Architecture in Helsinki” on a string quartet performance project of their songs, and provided recording musicians to the Australian band “The Presets.”
Most recently Lucie performed as part of the Stringspace String Quartet at Parliament House for Their Royal Highnesses William and Kate – the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. This event was hosted by the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet.
Other Stringspace events for the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet include: string quartet lunch music for the President of France, a jazz band for the Prime Minister of Japan in Perth, The Prime Minister’s Christmas Party at Kirribilli House, a string quartet lunch music for Russian President Putin at Guillaume’s – The Sydney Opera House, a string quartet for Chinese President Hu Jintao, a jazz band for the PM’s Australia Day party at Parliament House, a solo guitarist for Australia Day at The Lodge (2017) and many other events hosted by PM John Howard, PM Tony Abbott, PM Kevin Rudd, PM Julia Gillard & PM Malcolm Turnbull.
Lucie has organised private orchestra concerts for Sir Richard Branson, Justin Hemmes; an orchestra for the Sydney preview of the James Bond movie “Spectre“, an outdoor public orchestra concert for Claremont Council in Perth, an orchestra for IKEA, an acclaimed year-long public chamber music concert series for The Prince of Wales Lodge in Adelaide, and many simultaneous jazz bands & string quartets throughout Australia for MYER.
She has booked string players to perform on episodes of the TV show Home & Away, and regularly organises musicians for the National Gallery of Australia, Art Gallery of NSW and the National Portrait Gallery.
Lucie has provided numerous jazz bands for Tiffany & Co. – in Sydney, Melbourne & Adelaide, and a jazz band in-store for Louis Vuitton. She has organised a solo violinist to perform throughout Australia for M.A.C Cosmetics – including a performance at Vogue Fashion Night Out, and a string quartet for the Harpers Bazaar’s Woman of the Year Awards Night.
Lucie has booked orchestras to perform music in popular Final Fantasy concerts in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane, and music at the State Theatre for Disney.
She has staged a string orchestra performance of House of Cards at the Sydney Town Hall for Vivid Festival.
In 2017, Lucie organised an orchestra for the Sydney Opera House so final decisions on the new acoustics being installed in the Joan Sutherland Theatre at the Sydney Opera House could be made.
Lucie has organised musicians to record string parts for acclaimed arranger Jessica Wells of Jigsaw Music at Sonar Studios, Fox Studios; musicians for pre-show entertainment concerts for the TV show Q & A, and has programmed and is directing two concert series for the Sydney Opera House in 2017.
Lucie has toured extensively performing in hundreds of concerts throughout France, Germany and Australia with the The New Philharmonic Orchestra of Cologne (1999 – 2002), and has performed with the Australian Opera and Ballet Orchestra from 2003 – 2016. She has directed, edited & produced all the Stringspace film clips that are featured on our YouTube Channel StringspaceLive, and comes from a family of third-generation professional musicians and artists.
Other corporate Stringspace clients include: Macquarie Bank, Herbert Smith Freehills, the ACT Government, The NSW Treasury Department, Estee Lauder, The Garvan Institute, the Australian Performing Rights Association, Aria Restaurant, Grandiflora, Australian Guild of Screen Composers, Allphones Arena, AFTRS, BHP Billiton, Chanel, Coca-Cola, BMW, Sonar Music, Dion Lee, Omega, Gourmet Traveller, Jones Lang La Salle, QANTAS, Mercedes, Optus, Rolex, Flying Fish Restaurant, Westfield, SABA, Rio Tinto, SwissRe, Ticketek, Volvo, Westfield, Hardy Brothers Jewellers & Porsche.
Studied: Bachelor of Music (ANU – Distinction) & Graduate Diploma in Violin Performance from the Sydney Conservatorium (scholarship) – with a major in painting from Sydney College of the Arts. Many High Distinctions in chamber music.
Orchestra: Australian Opera and Ballet Orchestra, New Philharmonic Orchestra of Cologne, Canberra Symphony, Sydney Philharmonia & The Sydney Opera House Orchestra.
Awards: ANU Chamber Music Competition 1st Prize winner – String Quartet, and many awards & prizes from the Sydney Conservatorium.
Collaborations: Sydney International Spring Festival – Ensemble Offspring, Artistic Residence with CODA at the Australian painter Arthur Boyd’s “Bundanon”, Architecture in Helsinki.
Concerts: Liza Minelli, Delta Goodrem, Anthony & The Johnsons, Harry Connick Jr, Andrea Bocelli national tour, Tina Arena, Anthony Callea & Guy Sebastian.
Recordings: Delta Goodrem, Guy Sebastian, Human Nature, Architecture in Helsinki.
TV: Australian Idol, ABC “The Sideshow”, X Factor, YTT, Women’s Weekly Christmas Special, Home & Away
Video clips: Human Nature
Film Soundtracks: Australia, Happy Feet 1 & 2, December Boys, P.S I Love You
TV Commercials: Telstra (solo), Qantas & Westfield Worldwide Advertising Campaign
Festivals: Shostakovich String Quartet #8 in nightclubs as part of the Sydney & Canberra Fringe Festivals; Grandmaster Beats Festival at the Hordern Pavilion
High School: Sydney Conservatorium High School
Other: Stringspace Nightclub Performances at The Mandarin Club & The Midnight Shift; Sydney Fashion Week
- Lucie arranged almost all the Stringspace pop songs for string quartet that are listed on our repertoire page.
“Thank you for organising the string trio for our wedding day on 1st May. The musicians were very professional and set the scene for our ceremony perfectly. We even had a couple of guests who are musicians and knew of Kristian Winther – they wanted to know how we got ‘string royalty’ to play at our wedding!
“Please pass on our thanks to the musicians, and thank you for being so reliable and helpful in organising everything.” Trent Ryan & Rebecca Pollard